What documents am I going to need?

Joseph Cox
March 2, 2020
12 min read
March 7, 2024

What documents am I going to need?


What documents am I going to have to provide for each service?

Interested to know in advance what documents we’ll ask you for? Here’s a list broken down by each service and a brief explanation of why we ask for it.

Brand new client

We’re looking forward to having you onboard. In order to be able to work with you we’ll ask for:

  1. Proof of address (we need this for Anti-Money Laundering checks and to provide to HMRC when we are obtaining agency on your behalf)
  2. Proof of identity (we need this for Anti-Money Laundering checks and to provide to HMRC because…
  3. We'll also get you to electronically appoint as us your agent, but if you have not set-up a government gateway account for your business we will ask you to create one first.
  4. Authorisation Code for your Companies House. (if you are a limited company)

Accounting for Limited Companies

For the accounting service we will need the following for:

Dormant Accounts
  • If we are filing dormant accounts for you, them the date the company became active(we'll help you figure this out).
Year End Accounts
  • Bank statement for business account(s) from the start of your accounting year period stated on Companies House, to the end date of the accounting period for each account.
  • EU VAT Returns (if applicable). We need to know the total VAT paid or reclaimed in that period.
  • Payroll Summary for the accounting year if PAYE registered. (if we are handling your payroll we already have this)
  • Trial Balance from your completed bookkeeping for the year. (if we are handling your bookkeeping we already have this)

Accounting for Sole Traders

For the accounting service we will need the following for:

Self Assessment Accounts
  • P60/P45 & P11D detailing any income from your employment for the year. (if applicable)
  • Bank Statement from the 6th April of the previous year to the 5th April of the current year. E.g. 6th April 2019 to the 5th April 2020.
  • Sales breakdown for the period - we will get the necessary data from your sales channel for you, and create this.
  • Expenses breakdown for the period - we will provide guidance on how to prepare this.


We will first provide you with a Xero and Receipt Bank account. We will then ask you to do the following:

  • Link the bank accounts to Xero provide a bank feed for your business bank account(s).
  • Create a secondary user for us to your stores, e.g. Amazon Seller Central, Shopify & Etsy, so that we can get all data for you.
  • Create a secondary user access to any payment gateways that we will need to retrieve any necessary data reports from. E.g. PayPal and Stripe.
  • Provide expenses via Receipt Bank - mostly you just forward expenses to your dedicated Receipt Bank email, otherwise take a picture in the app (and that's it!)


The first thing we will do is check if you are registered for Making Tax Digital (MTD). If you are not we will sign you up and send an email to confirm via the email sent to you with HMRC within the 72 hours of signing up.

From there we will request the following from:

Non-bookkeeping clients
  • Bank Statements containing expenses for the VAT period due.
  • Any invoices containing input VAT or C79 Certificates.
  • Capital Purchases over £2,000 including VAT.

We will then prepare the VAT Return and send a draft copy to you to view and confirm that you are happy with the VAT Return. We will then submit this to HMRC on your behalf.

Bookkeeping clients
  • C79 Certificates

Everything else is picked up from your bookkeeping

Payroll Services (PAYE)

We will need to request a P60/P45 when starting the payroll, if you were previously employed in the tax year or were running payroll previously in the tax year.

We will then ask the following every month:

  • Number of Hours/days worked for employees. (if applicable)
  • Payslip from second job. (if applicable)
  • Any holiday or bonus given during the month.

We will then run the payroll for the month and provide you with a payslip for you and your employee showing the total amount to pay and any taxes applicable. We will also send you a P30 detailing what is required to be paid to HMRC if applicable and any claims made to HMRC e.g. Employers' Allowance.

Self Assessment

This will be similar to what we mentioned earlier with Accounting for Sole Traders but as this will be done closer to the deadline, we will need to make sure we have all of the information ready to submit the return before the 31st January.

  • Details of any self-employed income.
  • P60/P45 & P11D detailing any income from your employment for the year. (if applicable)
  • Details of Student or Teacher Loans. (if applicable)
  • Details of Child Benefits. (if applicable)
  • Details of any dividends received from shares held in UK Companies.
  • Details of any other income. (including pension, property/rental, bank interest & Capital Gains or losses)
  • Details of any donations or gift aid contributions made.

Need an accountant? Get in touch today. See how we can take your business to the next level, together.